In The News Quick Links
From Dahu Mountain looking over east Taipei city.
- Chinese micro-bloggers uncover another ‘four legs good, two legs bad’ scandal.
- Dutch court OKs civil suit by four Nigerians against Royal Dutch Shell for pollution.
- Costa Rica closes final loophole allowing import of shark fins. Finning trade now totally illegal. Taiwanese boats will have to go elsewhere. Don’t hold your breath for Taiwan to follow suit- expect ‘defence of cultural tradition’ arguments instead.
- Malaysia court rejects transsexual challenge to law that says Muslim men cannot wear ‘women’s clothes’.
- Taiwan farmers misguidedly celebrate court ruling against Central Taiwan Science Park. I hate to say this but nothing gets in the way of developers in Taiwan, not the law, not the courts and not the Government.
- DPP again tops list of poll of best local governments. Quick note to editors: Hualien County Commissioner Fu Kun-chi (傅崑萁) is not an ‘independent’. The only reason he was kicked off the KMT list was because they didn’t want to get heat from the fact that he is a convicted felon and widely suspected of being a gangster. Here’s a partial list:
1) Greater Tainan Mayor William Lai (賴清德) (DPP) - 74.6 out of 100 points
2) Yilan County Commissioner Lin Tsung-hsien (林聰賢) (DPP) - 74.2
3) Hualien County Commissioner Fu Kun-chi (傅崑萁) (
KMT IND) - 70
4) Kaohsiung Mayor Chen Chu (陳菊) (DPP) - 67.7
5) Miaoli County Commissioner Liu Cheng-hung (劉政鴻) (KMT) - 67.6
… and at the bottom …
17) New Taipei City (新北市) Mayor Eric Chu (朱立倫) (KMT) - 59.9
18) Lienchiang County Commissioner Yang Sui-sheng (楊綏生) (KMT) - 59.7
19) Taoyuan County Commissioner John Wu (吳志揚) (KMT) - 58.1
20) Greater Taichung Mayor Jason Hu (胡志強) (KMT) - 55.7
21) Taipei Mayor Hau Lung-bin (郝龍斌) (KMT) - 51.9
22) Keelung Mayor Chang Tong-rong (張通榮) (KMT) - 51.6